To select research projects aligned with the goals pursued under this initiative, the two Foundations designed a FIRST call for proposals that was launched in January 2012, identifying priority areas and eligible organizations. After consulting with the respective scientific constituencies the Foundations defined the following research themes:
- Development of stress-resistant rice (genetics and genomics, breeding and eco-physiology of rice)
- Integrated crop protection (plant-pathogens interactions, diseases, insects, symbionts, population ecology)
- Design of agricultural eco-systems for the eco-sustainable management of rice production
- Design of agri-food systems for improved rice processing to maintain, and whenever possible, improve quality and safety.
They also set the following requirements:
- operational involvement of organizations from emerging/developing countries in the Mediterranean or other regions of the South of the world to ensure the connection with the true needs of these countries as well as a faster transfer of knowledge and skills to them;
- joint project coordination by Italian and French research teams respecting the bond the two Foundations have with their respective constituencies.
A Joint Committee composed of representatives from both Foundations was appointed to design, run and monitor the initiative. Agropolis Fondation was chosen as the Operational Platform for grant management.
The Foundations contributed equally to the initiative allocating €2 million funds in aggregate.